Legal and Contract Analyst
How Will Your Role Impact First Command?
This position will work in support of and under the supervision of the Vice President - Associate General Counsels (“AGCs”) in the Legal, Compliance and Internal Audit Department. In performing job functions, this person will utilize independent judgment to analyze significant and/or unique contract requirements, special provisions, payment requirements, terms, and conditions to ensure compliance with appropriate laws, regulations, rules, and company policies and procedures. This person will also provide extensive legal and administrative support to the AGCs in a wide array of legal matters to include contracts, risk issues, Advisor issues, investigations, administrative hearings, litigation and arbitration, and other Home Office legal issues.
What Will You Be Doing?
- Facilitate the Contract and Vendor Management processes for Company Businss Owners and support Business Owners throughout the entire Vendor relationship and contract lifecycle.
- Assist and support the AGC (Contracts) with organizational contracting duties and for the overall administration and implementation of the company’s Contract Administration.
- Assist AGCs with Advisor investigations, including research, analysis, compilation, and organization of documentation relating to the investigations.
- Assist with litigation and administrative hearings under the attorney’s supervision.
- Analyze and help resolve legal issues that may arise from the field, home office or outside contractors related to all areas of the Company's business.
- Assist AGCs with regulatory examinations/investigations, including compiling, reviewing, organizing and submitting documentation to regulators ; liaise with various departments and the field to coordinate gathering materials.
- Conduct preliminary legal research on key issues presented for attorney review.
- Aid in responding to written and telephonic inquiries from clients, Home Office staff, Advisors, and others in the field, and third parties.
- Maintain calendars, suspense logs and files; arrange teleconferences and meetings; assist in defining, organizing, and performing legal work and projects for the attorneys; and assist in the preparation of reports and presentations.
- Coordinate work and projects among Legal & Compliance personnel.
- Draft and review correspondence and attend meetings with AGCs – record and transcribe meeting notes as necessary.
- Update Advisor agreement documents as directed and dictated by changes in regulatory guidelines, or the Company’s business practices and procedures.
- Additional Specific Responsibilities – Contract Management/Administration
- Serve on and support the Vendor Management Committee to facilitate Vendor Contract Checklist reviews, as well as coordinate contract reviews for Business Owners and the Vendor Management process.
- Assist in reviewing complex solicitations and preparing a specialized and/or non-routine response for proposals, bids, and contract modifications.
- Work with the AGC (Contracts) and team members to develop negotiation strategy on resolving complex contractual issues.
- Analyze emerging laws, regulations, rules, and contract trends for potential impact on the company’s strategic goals and objectives.
- Assist in identifying, developing, and implementing new contract policy and processes as well as assessing required deviations from established policy and process.
- Provide guidance to Business Owners on the Company’s goals and objectives relating to contract activity.
- Serve as the liaison for internal communications between Business Owners and AGCs regarding contract needs, issues and disputes.
- Maintain the Company’s contract files, including electronic storage of signed contracts and vendor communications regarding each contract.
- Coordinate requests for contract reviews, to include tracking the contracts received, reviewed, completed, and executed on a quarterly and annual basis
- Additional Specific Responsibilities - Field Support
- Compose and distribute all trainee and Advisor/Planner termination and transition letters to the field and Home Office staff.
- Issue monthly Fast Start Advisor/Agent agreements, Independent Contractor agreements, and other specialized agreements as directed via DocuSign, and notify the field and various Home Office departments for recording and processing; coordinate with Advisor Operations and Licensing regarding contract terms as needed and approval of Advisor status changes before issuing agreements.
- Assist Advisors and District Advisors with engaging licensed support staff (Associate Financial Advisors and Licensed Associates) by ensuring licensing and registration requirements are met and issue the agreements via DocuSign for signature.
- Oversee the state-by-state business licensing requirements for the Fast Start Program and research local city/town regulations for establishing a new business, responsible for acquiring new business licenses, maintaining the licenses through the various renewal processes, and discontinue licenses as needed. Also, maintain and update the Fast Start Business License spreadsheet which tracks the entire process.
- Research state-by-state and local municipality minimum wage and statutory salary requirements annually and provide information to the field for Fast Start employee advisors and field support staff; also provide information on state required new hire documentation and employment law posting requirements.
Engage in all other duties as assigned by the AGCs
What Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Will You Need?
- Ability to draft moderate to complex, non-routine contractual instruments
- Working to excellent knowledge of corporate policies and procedures, coupled with the ability to identify required improvement to established policies and to communicate implementation procedures to others
- Working to expert knowledge of contracting concepts, Uniform Commercial Code (UCC), applicable public contract acquisition law and regulations, and applicable international contract law
- Strong to excellent analytical and communication skills. Good presentation, leadership, and management skills
- Use of independent judgment and creativity applied to the resolution of contract issues
- Excellent internal and external negotiation skills.
- Supervisory Responsibility
- Serves as a process manager for Contract Management/Administration
Education/Experience And Certifications
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum 6 years of contract or business-related experience
- Must have professional references and a stable work history
- Certified Professional Contracts Manager (CPCM®) (Optional)
- A Legal Assistant Certification is required