Legal Project Analyst
The purpose of this role is to be a Legal Project Manager within the international Legal Project Management (“LPM”) team, which is part of the Business and Service Delivery function at DLA Piper. The Business and Service Delivery function at DLA Piper includes project, process and technology experts that work with all global teams to deliver efficiency, tech solutions and process improvement to enhance our client offering and increase competitiveness.
The LPM team is client facing and acts as a key relationship partner between the wider Business and Service Delivery team, our lawyers, and our clients. LPM is already well established within the firm and supports teams across various DLA International jurisdictions. The LPM team works alongside lead Partners and their legal teams to deliver legal project management activities and advise on best practice for managing legal matters.
The focus of the team is to implement significant change by driving better service delivery, implementing process improvement and innovation, increasing overall efficiency and providing excellent client service on the most complex matters. This is an exciting time to join the firm as developing more efficient ways of working and broadening our international reach lies at the heart of the firm’s current strategy.
A successful candidate will demonstrate an extensive track record of project management and delivery preferably in a law firm or in Professional Services.
Reporting to a Senior Legal Project Manager, you will work closely with our legal teams to lead on project management activities and to co-ordinate delivery of the legal work in line with clients’ needs and to an agreed timeline and budget. This will involve client contact from the outset to define and document scope, advice on and set-up of internal matter management structure and governance, resourcing and budgeting, tracking transaction and financial progress, managing risk and identifying efficiencies throughout the life of the project.
This role will be based out of one of our UK offices (London, Leeds, Manchester or Edinburgh) but the Legal Project Manager may be expected to travel as and when required as part of their role.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide Legal Project Management support to any of the DLA Piper offices as required;
- Work alongside the lead Partner and legal team to support project delivery;
- Manage key aspects of legal projects, including scoping, pricing, delivery planning, financial monitoring and reporting, status reporting, liaising with clients (where agreed), tracking scope changes, liaising with specialist departments and potentially other DLA Piper offices or external counsel;
- Assess and implement Legal Project Management tools where appropriate, to set up, track, and report on the status of each project;
- Proactively and continuously review requirements and determine the best way to deliver the outputs required using the right people, processes and technology;
- To promote the services of the Business and Service Delivery team as well as those of other Service Areas as part of a holistic solutions based approach;
- Monitor project risks and issues, and work proactively to mitigate them;
- Understand legal working processes through discussions with lawyers;
- Analysis of work product to identify tasks that could be done by different / more suitable resources;
- Introduce new working efficiencies where appropriate and develop improved processes, tools and systems;
- Roll out improvements and solutions through coaching and training sessions;
- Support lawyers by ensuring accurate information and support is available to them;
- Develop strong working relationships with other departments and teams including Finance;
- Help develop the international LPM team by contributing to knowledge repositories and supporting continuous improvement.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in relevant legal operations or project management in a relevant area;
- Bachelor’s degree in legal studies, business, or any related fields.
- An analytical and strategic mindset;
- Very financially aware and numerate;
- Technologically savvy – ideally familiarity with common legal technologies (e.g. HighQ, Legatics, Kira) but requiring at least advanced working knowledge of common IT applications in particular Excel, Outlook; PowerPoint and Word;
- Excellent written and verbal communication, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills;
- Relevant project management qualification (e.g. Prince2, PMP, Agile) is an advantage but not essential;
- Having worked “client-side” or “client-facing” is an advantage but not essential;
- Experience of working in a large international organisation is an advantage but not essential.
- Ability to grasp tasks quickly and work autonomously as well as part of a team;
- Being proactive and think ahead to anticipate next steps and requirements at all times;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Flexibility to adapt approach to different activities and a changing environment;
- Team player who will work within and be part of a collegial and rapidly growing international team;
- Very strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to adapt to different audiences;
- An ability to quickly prioritise between competing demands and multi-task where required;
- Analytical and strategic mind set;
- Customer focussed attitude with desire to always delivery outstanding service;
- Ability to maintain poise and patience under pressure;
- Exposure to professional services culture would be advantageous but not essential.
This job description is not designed to be exhaustive and can be varied, as required, to develop or fulfil the role of the Legal Project Manager.
In everything we do connected with our People, our Clients and our Communities, we live by these values:
- Be Supportive – we are compassionate and inclusive, valuing diversity and acting thoughtfully
- Be Collaborative – we are proactive, passionate team players investing in our relationships
- Be Bold – we are fearless and inquisitive, challenging ourselves to think big and find creative new solutions
- Be Exceptional – we are strategic and driven, exceeding standards and expectations
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At DLA Piper, diversity and inclusion underpins how we live our values and everything we do. We believe that everyone has a voice, and that everyone’s voice counts. We know that the rich diversity across our firm makes us stronger, more innovative and creative, which helps us to better serve our clients and communities. We are committed to providing an inclusive working environment and culture across our global firm, where everyone can bring their authentic self to work.
Diversity of perspective, thought, background and culture combine to make us the leading global law firm; that’s why we actively seek to build balanced teams. We welcome the unique contribution that you will bring to our firm and actively encourage applications from all talented people – however your talent is packaged, whatever your background or circumstance and regardless of how you identify.
We support anyone with a disability or long term health condition to ensure they have the opportunity to perform at their best. If you have not done so already, please let us know if you require any support so we can make the right adjustments and considerations should they be required.
We know that people have responsibilities and interests outside of their career and that as a business, we all benefit from working flexibly. That’s why we are open to discussing with candidates the different ways in which we are able to support requests for agile working arrangements.
In the event that we make an offer to you, and where local legislation permits, we will conduct pre-engagement screening checks that may include but are not limited to your professional and academic qualifications, your eligibility to work in the relevant jurisdiction, any criminal records, your financial stability and references from previous employers.
DLA Piper, a global law firm operating through separately constituted and regulated legal entities.