Head of Quality Engineering
This job is no longer accepting applications.
As our first quality focused engineer, you’ll help us overhaul our testing and QA processes, allowing us to write more reliable and robust software and to scale more gracefully. You’ll be using your expertise in testing to build a better testing culture and to mentor and coach fellow engineers. We don’t want a siloed off QA function, we want testing and QA to be a core strength of the engineering team as a whole, and you’ll help us make that happen.
You’ll be hands on writing tests as part of a cross functional team, but you’ll also be coaching and mentoring other engineers in the team to help them write better tests themselves. You’ll be involved in planning future work to make sure we’re considering testing throughout the software development lifecycle, with a focus on the product and how to ensure it best solves our user’s problems. You’ll be maintaining and improving our continuous integration infrastructure.
You’ll be driving the future growth of testing in the organisation, providing technical direction for all things quality and testing and potentially hiring more quality-focused engineers. There’s potential to line manage other engineers directly if that’s the direction you want your career to go.
Our Stack and Environment
We have one cross functional team, including engineers, designers and product managers that we split into smaller groups to work on specific projects. We use our own hybrid Kanban-based system that aims to provide structure where we need it and get out of the way the rest of the time, and we’re always looking for ways to improve our own processes. The same is true for our development tools where we try to apply continuous integration, automated testing, pair programming and whatever other techniques we think will make us work better.
We’re a small, agile, high-energy team where everyone plays a critical role in improving our products and processes.
Our culture is collaborative, ambitious, agile and kind. Things move fast, we like to see our work solving problems for our customers as quickly as possible, and we value each other. If you share these values, and the description below sounds like you then we would love to hear from you.
- You’ve got 5+ years experience in testing focused roles
- You’ve worked in agile, cross functional teams
- You’ve got experience with frameworks for testing web applications, including end to end testing, (ideally Cypress).
- You’ve got experience setting up and maintaining continuous integration systems
- You're product-minded and understand the tradeoffs between quality and speed
- You care about impact, love a challenge, and take ownership of your work
- Salary range of £70k - £85k depending on experience
- Share options, so we all share in Legl’s success
- Opportunity to join a well-funded startup at the start of a hyper growth phase on its mission to fix what’s broken about the legal system.
- All the kit you need to work effectively from home (remote working statement below) and the flexibility to work with the tools you like best (hi Linux)
- High and very visible impact in your role. This work really matters - success in this role will drive our growth and have a big impact on the business and our clients
- Team of smart, ambitious and genuinely kind people
- A great and growing remote social culture
- Learning a lot along the way. We run an internal knowledge sharing program (Legl University) everyone to attend courses, talks and conferences, and have regular 121s
We believe in having diverse teams in which everyone can be their authentic self is key to our success, and our current team is a testament to that. We intend to build on the diversity we have in our team, and encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. Simply put, we don’t discriminate.
Remote working (Covid-19 Statement)
As a company we have embraced remote working going forward, so we aim to support you working wherever you already are rather than expecting you to come into an office. Since March 2020, we have adapted our tools and processes to support productive, connected, collaborative work from our homes. We plan to start gathering in person a few times a year once it is safe to do so.
Location and Visa Sponsorship
As we are growing into our remote model, we can consider applications from candidates who are currently resident in timezones within +/- 3 hours of the UK. We can also offer Tier 2 visa sponsorship for this role if you wish to move to the UK.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Tools for firms to drive growth and succeed in a digital-first world.