Data Governance and Privacy Specialist ( Remote )
ApplyBoard is looking for a Data Governance and Privacy Specialist to support the execution of data governance and privacy initiatives. This role will provide direct support to the Data Governance and Privacy teams to both build the long term strategy and processes for a complex multinational start up and to address real time time-sensitive privacy requests including data subject requests (DSR), PIAs, third party vendor and contract review, internal escalations, and external inquiries. You will be responsible for documenting and finding gaps and trends to help the team shape policies and processes related to global privacy compliance, as well as support the research and analysis of compliance requirements for privacy in Canada, the United States, Europe and the UK, India, China and other countries.
This is a great remote job opportunity open to Ontario, Quebec, British Columbia, Nova Scotia, Alberta and Manitoba locations.
What you’ll be doing every day:
- Conduct research and identify Data Protection requirements and updates globally, and build a strategy with the team on how to maintain compliance.
- Review and respond to Privacy related inquiries, impact assessments, data protection clause review, and related requests efficiently and accurately.
- Understand how data flows internally, collaborate with data owners to support data governance.
- Support growing automation and data analytics capabilities.
- Contribute to internal documentation, workflows and procedures concerning Privacy.
- Stay current on present and upcoming privacy regulations (e.g. China PIPL, Canada CPPA, CCPA, GDPR etc.).
- Communicate, resolve, or escalate Privacy questions and concerns to Privacy Risk Lead and the Data Protection Officer as needed.
- Gather and analyze relevant data to improve internal processes and consistently communicate insights to stakeholders across Canada and regional markets.
- Work alongside our Legal & Trust team on legal compliance and policy issues.
- Assist with conducting data privacy impact assessments of programs, systems, products and services.
- Educate team members on privacy, compliance, risk, legal, retention, and data governance topics (including building training and supporting materials).
- Understanding how data will be used with vendors and software, and how these operational concerns impact privacy compliance and strategy.
- Investigating risks and discussing mitigation strategies.
- Supporting consistent vocabulary and understanding across the company.
- Reviewing privacy impact assessments, and lead remediation and collaboration with business teams.
- Make a difference by bringing innovative ways to improve the privacy process and automation.
What you bring to the table:
- Passionate about data privacy.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, diplomacy, and the ability to work cross-functionally.
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent practical experience.
- Minimum 3 years of experience working in privacy or on an operational legal team, ideal candidates will have both.
- Strong attention to detail, highly self‑driven and results oriented.
- Proven successful record in handling sensitive matters.
- Flexible and can adjust accordingly to ensure team efficiency and deliverables are met.
Life at ApplyBoard:
By joining our team, you have the opportunity to:
- Join the fastest-growing technology company in Canada, with many opportunities for growth and advancement
- Work alongside a globally diverse team of over 1,500 team members based in over 25 countries, who speak more than 75 languages.
- Make a difference in the lives of thousands of students as they explore educational opportunities
- Want to learn more about ApplyBoard, read our Life at ApplyBoard Blog, and be sure to follow us on our LinkedIn page.
ApplyBoard empowers students around the world to access the best education by simplifying the study abroad search, application, and acceptance process to more than 1,500 institutions across Canada, Australia, the United States, and the United Kingdom. ApplyBoard, headquartered in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, has helped more than 300,000 students from more than 125 countries along their educational journeys since 2015.
ApplyBoard was named the fastest-growing technology company in Canada by Deloitte, ranking #1 on the Technology Fast 50™ list in 2019 and #2 in 2020.
ApplyBoard was also been named to LinkedIn’s list of Top Startups in 2020 and 2021 and TechTO’s list of top Canadian Rocketship companies to accelerate your career in the Tech Industry.
In 2021, ApplyBoard announced a C$375M Series D funding on a C$4B valuation. This funding will allow us to further invest in our technology, grow our team around the world, and serve more students on our mission to educate the world. Thank you for your interest in ApplyBoard. Please note that only qualified applicants that have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
ApplyBoard is committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. If you require any accommodations or assistance during the recruitment process, please let us know.
Your application has been successfully submitted.