Job Opportunity Details
The marketing director leads our marketing team and reports to the president. This is a 100% remote (even post-pandemic), full-time (40 hours/week) position. Our team works 9am-5pm CT, Monday–Friday.
Base salary starts at $70,000, but will vary depending on qualifications and experience. We also offer professional development, benefits (profit-sharing, retirement matching, and healthcare allowance), flexible vacation, and a great team of people you can be proud to work with every day.
Your Roles & Responsibilities
You have the desire, skills, and experience needed to lead the following activities, all of which require a high-level attention to detail, organization, and systems-thinking:
Lawyerist Leadership Team Member: This role sits on our executive leadership team along with the CEO, President, and other team leads. Responsibilities and skills needed include:
- Providing strategic thinking for the company and working to establish and maintain long-range goals, plans, policies and short-term priorities to promote sustainability and growth.
- Participating in weekly leadership meetings and quarterly leadership retreats to identify company-level issues and opportunities. Our team follows the tools and best practices of the Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS) by Gino Wickman.
- Effectively managing a high-performing marketing team; conducting regular 1:1s with team members to provide performance feedback and guide professional growth opportunities; and performing quarterly reviews. We are big fans of Pat Lencioni and his teachings around building effective teams.
- Having a firm grasp on industry-leading best marketing practices to increase our brand’s reach, attract the right leads, and convert the right people when they are ready to purchase products and services from us. Our marketing is currently built around a Story Brand (or using the “Hero’s Journey”) and using a 10X content-briefing model to update our content.
Marketing Team Lead: This role collaborates with the leadership team to design a data-driven marketing strategy consistent with the company's overall business purpose. Specific responsibilities and skills needed include:
- Creating and leading the marketing team and outside contractors in implementing a variety of online and offline initiatives that increase brand awareness, create traffic to our site, drive new members to the community, and convert qualified leads into our paid programs. Currently, these tools include lawyerist.com, The Small Firm Roadmap, The Lawyerist Podcast, speaking and webinars, guest writing and backlinks from other sites, paid advertising, social media, email newsletters and drip campaigns, a free community with tools and a private facebook group.
- Editor-in-chief of lawyerist.com. Our popular website serves several major functions for our business. As the editor-in-chief of the site, this role collaborates with the leadership team to design our content marketing and SEO strategies, and manages the entire content marketing process including creating and managing a quarterly editorial calendar of page updates, SEO opportunities, and conversion opportunities.
- Analyzing marketing reports with key metrics and adjusting tactics as necessary.
Lab Community Coach: As an expert in their field, this role coaches members of our paid coaching community (Lawyerist Lab) on content marketing and other areas of expertise. Specifically, this role may:
- Conduct 1:1 coaching with community members, lead workshops and webinars, or facilitate group coaching calls.
- Approximately 10 hours per month
Your Skills, Passions, and Personality
If you are a marketing director who is looking for a new opportunity at a fast-paced small business focused on improving the lives and businesses of small firm lawyers around the country, we hope you apply. Other traits we are looking for:
- Proven success in a similar role as a marketing director
- Preference for knowledge of the legal industry or a professional service industry
- An in-depth understanding of marketing best practices with the ability to jump in and immediately add value to our team
- Someone who is personable, professional, and able to quickly establish rapport with others including the ability to build and maintain positive working relationships with team members and respected partners outside of the organization
- Ability to manage several different projects simultaneously and ensure each is moving forward and being completed correctly, on time, and within budget
- Proven ability to coach and lead successful teams
- Desire to achieve specific data-driven metrics and flexibility to adjust course to ensure goals are accomplished
- Driven by an iterative process and desire for continuous improvement
- Designated professional, quiet space and a fast and reliable internet connection
- Ability to work with a distributed team including using technology to regularly communicate and collaborate with team members
- Available to travel to in-person team meetings or industry conferences (typically 4–5 times per non-pandemic year)
Your application has been successfully submitted.