Business Developer (Security, Crime, Technology, Digitalization, Privacy) i4S - Smart Solutions for Secure Societies
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Ghent University is seeking an entrepreneurial and dynamic staff member to facilitate the value creation based on our research in the field of crime, security, technology, digitalization and privacy.
For its liaison with industry, UGent uses a network of specialized business development centers, funded by the Industrial Research Fund (IOF), and backed by a central Technology Transfer Office. In this way, UGent is committed to stimulating the commercialization of innovative knowledge and technology.
The business development centers group complements research departments by application domain or research expertise. Key technology transfer activities include industrial collaboration programs, IP licensing and spin-off creation.
i4S – Smart Solutions for Secure Societies
i4S is a new multidisciplinary economic valorization consortium that brings together the AUGent expertise from alpha, beta and gamma disciplines around crime, security and technology, digitization and privacy respectively. The consortium unites researchers from six faculties and eight departments in UGent and two university colleges in their pursuit of "smart solutions for secure societies" and represents 18 research groups, institutes and consortia with a total of more than 100 researchers. i4S was formed in response to and in anticipation of a vast and rapidly growing crime and security market in which technology and digitalization both pose major challenges and offer innovative solutions. Prof. Dr. Gert Vermeulen is the supervisor-coordinator.
Your most important tasks consist of:
- Identifying new technologies and commercializing innovative research results within the i4S Business Development Center. This involves making R&D deals, licensing agreements or facilitating the establishment of spin-offs;
- Setting up (research) collaborations with industry and supporting and monitoring industrial research programs (e.g. via Flanders Innovation and Entrepreneurship (VLAIO), the EU, …);
- Identifying, consolidating and following up strategic partnerships with economically relevant players in the market that have added value for the consortium;
- Creating value by stimulating and supporting internal partnerships within the business unit aimed at developing new technology platforms;
- Stimulating and administering technology development and valorization (IP, industrial proof-of-concept, marketing, etc.);
- Collaborating closely with the supervisor-coordinator (vision, strategy, project and financial management, …) to manage the internal organization of the business center;
- Profiling the consortium at national and international level with companies and governments, through seminars, workshops, website, events, etc., with the aim of developing partnerships.
- You have sound scientific knowledge and relevant expertise in the field of crime/security and its intersection with technology, digitalization (and privacy) and its potential applications;
- You hold a thematically relevant PhD or have at least 5 years of experience in marketing applied research;
- A degree in Business Management (MBA) is an asset;
- You have at least 5 years of relevant industrially-oriented work experience, with respect to at least two of the following aspects:
- Research and technology transfer in general;
- Intellectual property rights and marketing thereof by concluding IP licenses;
- Business development in a business-to-business environment or academy-to-business environment;
- Research and Development and Innovation (R&D|I) management and project management;
- Establishing multi-partner consortia in the framework of industrial research programs (European, regional, …);
- The establishment of spin-offs.
- Experience or training in the following elements is an asset:
- Experience in project management and the contractual aspects of research projects and research transfer projects;
- Experience in marketing, prospecting for new partners, conducting PR and developing professional networks;
- Experience in establishing and coordinating cross-domain and multidisciplinary structures;
- Experience in setting up strategic partnerships;
- Training in management skills.
- You have an affinity with both the academic and business sectors and can deal expertly with projects independently and as part of a team while ensuring timely delivery;
- You have an entrepreneurial mindset, are diplomatic and work in a result- and service-oriented manner;
- You have strong communication skills, and you are representative and flexible;
- You have built up a (international) network in the field.
This position involves a contractual appointment of indefinite duration. We offer you solid career prospects in the context of a stimulating employment status, which will largely depend on your knowledge and experience.
- Information about the Industrial Research Fund: https://www.ugent.be/techtransfer/nl/academici/iof
- Coordinator Industrial Research Fund: Ingrid.Merchiers@ugent.be or 09/264.99.51
- Consortium supervisor-coordinator: email@example.com
Please submit your application letter with detailed resume no later than May 10, 2021 (before 5 pm). This letter must be sent to the Chairman of the IOF Council, Prof. Freddy Haesebrouck via Ingrid.Merchiers@ugent.be.
The interviews will take place on May 26, 2021 and the assessment center on June 7 or June 10.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Ghent University is a top 100 university and one of the major universities in Belgium.