Legal Operations Specialist, eBilling and Spend Management
Working with various partners across the global Law department and Business and Functional teams, the Legal Operations Specialist, eBilling and Spend Management t will be responsible for financial and vendor management. We are seeking a forward-thinking, hardworking, and results-oriented professional with proven experience and the ability to coordinate with cross-functional teams.
To excel in this role, you will have a background in vendor and billing management and the ability to cultivate relationships with staff across the Law department and broader organization. Deep knowledge of eBilling systems, preferably Thomson Reuters Legal Tracker, is essential to improve current usage of the platform ensuring all features and functionality is fully optimized.
This is primarily a hybrid position. The successful candidate would have to commute to one of the following locations on a weekly basis:
- Toronto, ON, Canada
- Waterloo, ON, Canada
- Boston, MA, USA
Full remote position could be considered, subject to the candidate willing to commute to any of the above mentioned locations - most often Toronto and Boston - a few times a year for in-person events.
- Work with legal, business and finance partners to help streamline the billing process and enable more efficient matter and vendor management, including new firm and matter set-up, timekeeper rate review, approval workflows, fee arrangements, monitoring of AP feeds, etc.
- Prepare detailed spend reports and maintain reporting dashboard using a Power BI platform which increases transparency of legal spend and provide updates to relevant partners.
- Identify spending trends and compare against industry benchmarks. Participate in the completion of various legal operations industry surveys.
- Support the accrual and budget process. Assist with the implementation of alternative fee arrangements (AFA) and utilization of alternative legal service providers (ALSP) as appropriate.
- Manage the onboarding process for new law firms to the eBilling system and corporate and local account payable systems and ensure all documentation is complete.
- Keep up to date on eBilling system features and improvement and participate in the implementation of desired features and improvements in the company environment.
- Support the continued expansion of e-Billing system throughout the organization.
- Research and resolve billing inquiries from both internal partners and law firms requiring familiarity with various AP systems.
- Supervise various team email inboxes and address messages in a timely manner.
- Confirm access permissions to eBilling system and handle the deactivation of users. promptly.
- Assist in keeping internal information portal up to date with proposal of new content.
- Lead monthly law firm management program and eBilling platform training sessions for internal users and new hire orientation.
- Participate in other aspects of the law firm management program, including updating guidelines and vendor oversight procedures.
- Monitor compliance to company standards for engaging outside counsel including budgets, matter level plan and bidding process.
- 5+ years completing similar tasks to those above, and within a corporate or legal environment, preferred.
- 5+ years legal eBilling experience (Thomson Reuters Legal Tracker experience preferred).
- Experience with matter management software is a plus.
- Experience with budget and financial management.
- Knowledge of Microsoft applications including Power BI, SharePoint and Power Apps
- Ability to identify and manage cross-team and cross-project dependencies.
- Ability to anticipate and address issues early. Proactive and self-starter.
- Strong analytical skills. Detail oriented.
- Ability to balance and prioritize multiple projects for various internal customers.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills required.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Some interaction with legal teams in Asia which may require participation in calls aligning with their business day.
What can we offer you?
- A competitive salary and benefits packages.
- A growth trajectory that extends upward and outward, encouraging you to follow your passions and learn new skills.
- A focus on growing your career path with us.
- Flexible work policies and strong work-life balance.
- Professional development and leadership opportunities.
Our commitment to you
- Values-first culture
- We lead with our Values every day and bring them to life together.
- Boundless opportunity
- We create opportunities to learn and grow at every stage of your career.
- Continuous innovation
- We invite you to help redefine the future of financial services.
- Delivering the promise of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- We foster an inclusive workplace where everyone thrives.
- Championing Corporate Citizenship
- We build a business that benefits all stakeholders and has a positive social and environmental impact.
Every career at Manulife/John Hancock provides the opportunity to learn new skills and move your career forward. Ready to make an impact somewhere? What are you waiting for? Apply today.
Your application has been successfully submitted.