Legal Technology Team Lead
This job is no longer accepting applications.
In recent years, technology has promised to play a far more disruptive role and change the way we deliver legal services to our clients. The pace of technology change in this area has increased dramatically in the last two years.
An integral part of A&O's Advanced Delivery & Solutions offering, the Legal Technology Group provides legal technology solutions to the firm, helping lawyers across our global network deliver a full range of legal services to our clients. The use of technology to support A&O’s client activities is becoming increasingly important as client requirements become more complex and global in nature.
The role of the Legal Technology Solutions Team Lead is to provide operational support for our legal technology tools and services. This will cover deal management or contract lifecycle tools, with the addition of further technologies as we expand our toolset in areas such as artificial intelligence, web technologies and knowledge and collaboration, to meet our clients’ future needs.
The Team Lead is responsible for the day-to-day leadership of a support team to provide the required operational support to A&O customers (internal and external) who use legal technology solutions. They will provide end-to-end ownership and resolution of incidents, requests and escalations working with teams across the department and will provide the appropriate reporting for this role.
This role will respond to A&O lawyer and client queries with advice, setup and implementation of agreed initiatives. There will also be opportunities to help design and configure technical project solutions. This individual will be expected to advise lawyers and clients on how to use and manage a range of tools so that risks are well understood and managed.
- Legal Technology Senior Manager
- Head of Advanced Delivery (Technology)
- Legal Technology Solutions Manager
- Other Legal Technology Solutions Team Lead(s)
- Other members of the global Legal Technology Group
- Partners, fee-earners and support staff using A&O’s legal technologies
- Support teams responsible for underlying systems e.g. IT SM colleagues
- External and internal clients
- The remit of this team is global and extends to all aspects of support across our global network
Role and responsibilities
- The role holder will be seen as a clear leader for all technical matters relating to their specialist areas:
- Providing a single point of technical leadership on projects and BAU activities
- Ensuring that services are effectively delivered, understood and supported so that they fulfil business needs
- Being accountable for ensuring there is an up-to-date view of future upgrades required to ensure that legal technology solutions continue to meet business needs and they remain supportable
- This role is seen as a ‘hands on’ role, with team management duties such as:
- Managing the resources, structures and processes necessary to support current and anticipated demand
- Setting and monitoring progress against team objectives and targets, including billable hour targets/revenue generation
- Monitoring routine operations and initiating corrective action if processes fail
- The role holder will:
- Possess the ability to effectively prioritise workload and meet deadlines
- Have experience crafting written communications that are clear, succinct and audience appropriate
- Possess strong influencing skills and commercial awareness in order to build relationships with stakeholders, in conjunction with Legal Technology Engagement Managers, to identify and progress leads
- Have a proactive approach, demonstrate follow-through and the ability to motivate teams through periods of change
- Be committed to championing and delivering continual service improvement
- The ability to provide technical leadership to operational staff for supported legal technology solutions
- The confidence and customer service skills to liaise with senior management and customers, escalating as required
- The ability to determine, document and agree requirements with Project Delivery teams for new services to enable effective Service Transition
- An enthusiasm and passion for excellent customer service coupled with the ability to promote technology within the firm, using business friendly language, and seek out opportunities with tangible business benefits
- A highly self-motivated self-starter who will undertake all activities to the highest professional standards
- Define and deliver continuous improvement programmes so that, where applicable, systems deliver an improved performance to the business
- Embed risk awareness and management into technical decision making in order to support A&O’s approach to risk with a focus on stability and integrity of systems
- Having an open mind to consider all alternatives when making technology decisions
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both orally and written
- Ability to manage ambiguity and often conflicting priorities
- Ability to develop good working relationships across Advanced Delivery & Solutions and IT teams
- High level of personal credibility, impact and influence with proven ability to work effectively and persuasively at all levels of the business
- Excellent understanding of the firm and the legal technology market and trends
- Knowledge of the portfolio of legal technology products within A&O and their intended uses
- Commercial acumen, including an understanding of the overall picture of Advanced Delivery &Solutions and IT service costs and how technology adds value to the business
- Knowledge of key steps in legal technology, IT support and project processes
- Experience of managing and monitoring service delivery performance metrics and ability to liaise with Senior Management to ensure that service level agreements (SLAs) are not breached
- Experience of all aspects of Supplier Management ensuring that supplier performance is properly monitored and regularly reviewed as defined by Supplier Management Frameworks
- Produce monthly management reports which include performance against targets, current usage of resources, trends and forecasts to ensure that agreed levels of availability and reliability are measured and monitored on an ongoing basis
- Experience of creating, managing, motivating and developing (project) teams
- Experience of participating in / managing budgets to an agreed yearly schedule ensuring accurate reporting and value for money
Who we are looking for
Essential Qualifications / Experience
- Degree qualified or a minimum of 2-3 years' experience in a legal technology support role
- Aptitude for understanding new technologies quickly and developing new skills
Desirable Qualifications / Experience
- STEM or law degree level qualification would be an advantage
- Experience of leading a high performing legal technology support team
- Interest in emerging advanced legal, fintech and regtech technologies
- Experience of identifying and managing risks
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Allen & Overy is a global law firm that helps the world’s leading businesses to grow, innovate and thrive.