This job is no longer accepting applications.
Hello, we're Farewill - we build simple, beautiful products to change the way the world deals with death.
We have some pretty big plans and ambitions for 2021 (and beyond), and to deliver on these we're going to be growing our passionate, diverse and ambitious team of engineers to help make our mission a reality.
As part of this, we're currently looking for a Front-end Engineer to join our talented engineering team.
This role is a unique opportunity to join one of our multi-disciplinary product teams to help make a meaningful difference to people's lives, use modern front-end technologies, and work with some of our lovely people (folks like Ethel, Kees, Mo, Thomas, Sally, Kat, Emma, Chris, Karan, Lasse - you'll meet more throughout the process).
OK, so what does this mean in practice? What will I actually be doing day to day?
Your main responsibilities will be to:
- Improve developer experience and efficiency through our UI library, setting strategy for this as well as developing components.
- Contribute to our overall technical strategy by representing the front-end.
- Level up the quality of front-end across the business.
- Play an active role in our Engineering guild.
In the next 12 months you will do things like:
- Settle into a product team, work on existing features, deliver code towards features on our product roadmap to help meet company goals!
- Gain an understanding of our business, our customers, and our domain, allowing you to use your judgement to make autonomous decisions.
- Identify and prioritise tech work, share knowledge and shape how we use technology at Farewill.
- Implement visual and component testing.
- Level up the Engineering Guild's front-end technologies and process knowledge.
- Play an active role in our code review process, reviewing code from across the team as well as making it easy for others to review the code you write.
- Pitch in with discovery, ideation and research alongside designers, engineers and user researchers in order to identify, prioritise, solve problems iteratively.
- Share your knowledge/experience/interests with the team - be it through pairing, a company passion talk or external speaking opportunity.
On the front end we're using React with styled-components and our internal component library. Our website is powered by Gatsby and Contentful, and throughout our applications we use React hooks and Redux to manage state.
For the backend we run on Node, serving Express APIs. Across our applications, we use PostgreSQL and MongoDB as our primary data stores.
Our codebases use ESLint, Prettier, Percy, Cypress, Mocha and Jest to automate testing. We push to GitHub, test on CircleCI and deploy (continuously) to Heroku.
For this role we're looking for someone pretty experienced - ideally where the Mid 2 or senior level on our engineering progression framework resonates with your skills and previous impact, as well as being the type of work you'd like to do at Farewill.
Hopefully, you'll have some or all of the following:
- You've worked with non-functional requirements such as accessibility, performance, usability, and security, and consider these in your work.
- Experience of working with design system/component library work from a technical perspective.
- You've worked within a high mid-level or senior-level equivalent software engineering role in a web-based space, with responsibility for leading projects, or at a team level.
- Your verbal and written communication skills mean you can communicate well with a range of people, including when we're working remotely.
- You'd be comfortable working within a company of Farewill's size/scale/nature!
Some extra skills that would be great:
- You've got some experience of working with other technologies that we use (Node.js, PostgreSQL).
- You've previously improved engineering practices, and could help us to level up some of our gaps.
- You've got a knowledge of similar problem spaces or industries.
- You care about creating inclusive and diverse environments.
- Mentoring or sponsorship of other engineers is important to you.
- It comes in many forms, but tech leading (not line managing) a team is something you've done and enjoy.
If this sounds like what you'd love to be doing, we can't wait to hear from you. If you're not sure that you exactly fit the above criteria, please get in touch anyway and we can always arrange an informal chat as a starting point.
And a few other reasons why now is an exciting time to join...
- We're growing lightning fast and last year closed a £20m Series B. We also launched and scaled two new products helping families with probate and more recently cremation, with outstanding customer reviews.
- We hire BLOBs (read our culture deck)
- We've grown to lead our industry, becoming the biggest (and favourite) will-writer in the UK. What's more, we've raised over £320M in charity legacy donations, and been recognised as the national will writing firm of the year at the wills and probate industry awards.
- We're a diverse, close-knit team of over 120 at the forefront of legal technology, playing a crucial role in modernising important legal services, in order to provide best in class customer experiences at the times our customers need it most. We win awards and are recognised by people like UK FinTech Awards 2020 Employer of the Year, Top 20 Companies to work for in London, and more! 🎉
What we offer in return:
- Competitive salary and generous stock options. To keep things fair, we make offers based on our engineering progression framework and associated salary bandings. For this role it'll likely be between around £60-90k based on where you fit in.
- 28 days of annual leave plus the usual public holidays
- Flexible working policies (more below!)
- Personal development budget of 3 days and £1000 per year
- Regular ‘passion talks' and a range of team socials
- Santander cycles membership
- A chance to make a meaningful contribution to people's lives and deaths
- And much more!
* Coronavirus update: Currently our lovely office in Haggerston is available if people want (and only if they want) to use it. Our current plan is to move to a mix of office-based and remote working, where teams and individuals are empowered to plan effective work patterns.
At Farewill, our mission is to change the way the world deals with death - to make it simple, personal, fairly-priced & accessible to everyone.
To do that, we want to build a workplace that's great for everyone, that celebrates diversity in all its forms, and where everyone who works for us feels like they can be themselves, bring their whole selves to work, and be treated fairly, equitably and respectfully.
We believe flexibility is important, so we're happy to chat to you about flexible/remote working options. And, If you need any flexibility or adjustments in our interview process - to help set you up for success - then please let us know too.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The simpler way to deal with death.