Head of EMEA Legal - Operations
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Legal Operations professional to join our team as a permanent member, based in London, in the role of Head of EMEA Legal - Operations, reporting directly to the Co-General Counsel for EMEA.
- In this role, the successful candidate will be a member of MUFG’s Legal Department in EMEA, providing services which cover MUFG’s banking arm and securities business under a dual-hat arrangement. Under this arrangement, the employee will act and make decisions on behalf of both the bank and the securities business, subject to the same remit and level of authority, and irrespective of the specific entity which employs them.
- Serve as an active and engaged member of the Legal management team. The Head of EMEA Legal Operations is positioned as a key role in the management team of MUFG’s Legal Department in EMEA.
- Strategic partner to the Co-General Counsels for EMEA and the broader Legal management team to define, manage and achieve strategic goals and functional business targets for the Legal Department. Assist with formulation and implementation of strategic business plans and target operating model. Distil strategic discussions into discernible, executable goals and plans.
- Collaborate with senior Legal staff across the EMEA region to ensure that processes are managed in a coordinated manner.
- Responsible for the business-as-usual and change operations of the Legal function.
- Responsible for operation of law firm panel, relationships with panel law firms, law firm costs and law firm performance management.
- Coordinate and oversee operational aspects (including invoices, payments and onboarding) of use of external legal counsel and other Legal-related vendors.
- Interface with Finance for budgeting, forecasting and monitoring actual performance against budgets and forecasts.
- Lead Legal’s digitalization strategy supporting the implementation of workflow tools and automated processes.
- Optimise processes, streamline operations and increase efficiencies within the EMEA Legal Department. Determine root causes for bottlenecks in our internal legal processes and recommend and implement solutions.
- Prepare and coordinate Legal’s reports for Management, Board and Executive Committees.
- Coordinate and manage EMEA Legal’s risk reporting.
- Manage department data and metrics, key risk indicators and benchmarking.
- Maintain, monitor and provide advice on key Legal framework policies and procedures.
Skills And Experience
- University graduate preferably with a degree in Law, Management, Accounting or Finance
- 3+ years of experience in Legal Operations, preferably gained in-house within a global financial institution
- Demonstrated ability to lead complex strategic and operational initiatives
- Evidence of senior level delivery in a similar role
- Ability to serve as a strategic adviser and feel comfortable sharing ideas
- Strong project management and business management skills
- Strong experience of data production and analysis
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written & verbal
- Effective operating in a team and matrix-oriented environment, and ability to work with colleagues at all levels of seniority
- Proactive and enthusiastic, with an inclination to drive change
- Results driven, with a strong sense of accountability
PERFORMANCE AND DUTIES
- The role holder will be assessed in accordance with their employing entity’s performance framework and process with relevant input obtained from the dual hatting entity as relevant.
- As duties and responsibilities change, the job description will be reviewed and emended in consultation with the role holder. The role holder will carry out other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the role as requested by their line manager or Department Head.
MANAGING CONFLICTS OF INTEREST
- The role holder will have responsibilities for both MUFG Bank and MUFG Securities EMEA plc.
- The role holder will be required to perform their duties and responsibilities on an entity neutral basis, without favour.
- The role holder is required to follow regulatory requirements applicable to ensure each business is appropriately supported and to maintain the legal entity integrity of each of MUFG Bank and MUS.
- Working terms are dictated by functional mandates, the terms of the Dual-Hat Arrangement Agreement in place between MUFG Bank and MUFG Securities EMEA plc and any other relevant agreements entered into between MUFG Bank and MUFG Securities EMEA plc.
- The role holder will have responsibility for identifying and resolving where there may be a difference or conflict in needs between MUFG Bank and MUFG Securities EMEA plc, escalating to their manager where required.
We are open to considering flexible working requests in line with organisational requirements.
MUFG is committed to embracing diversity and building an inclusive culture where all employees are valued, respected and their opinions count. We support the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion in recruitment and employment, and oppose all forms of discrimination on the grounds of age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy and maternity, race, gender reassignment, religion or belief and marriage or civil partnership.
We make our recruitment decisions in a non-discriminatory manner in accordance with our commitment to identifying the right skills for the right role and our obligations under the law.
Your application has been successfully submitted.