Software Engineer, Search
Casetext helps millions of people every month access high-quality legal research at an affordable price. By combining advanced machine learning, contextual understanding and search technology with a beautiful and easy to use interface, our platform is disrupting the traditional legal research industry and improving access to justice across the country. We are looking for a backend software engineer to join our Search API team.
About the Role:
The Search API team builds amazing, highly performant search experiences for Casetext's users. Our systems respond to millions of complex legal queries each month and our goal is to ensure that our users find what they are looking for on their first try. We do this by combining traditional information retrieval technologies with cutting edge, deep learning based retrieval approaches. As a member of this team, you'll work with our product managers, search experts, and ML engineers to design and build new production search features for our platform.
What you'll bring to this role:
- At least two years professional experience in a backend software engineering role
- Experience building search applications on top of Elasticsearch. You understand the principles of index and query design for Elasticsearch
- Experience designing RESTful APIs for production systems
- Strong skills and experience in a JVM based language (e.g. Java, Scala, Kotlin). You should know how to tune JVM systems for maximum performance
- Working knowledge of Python
- Experience working at a startup is a big plus
What you can expect from us:
- A high-growth, well-funded startup that's changing how legal research is done at law firms large and small
- Highly competitive compensation, meaningful equity, and a strong benefits plan
- Opportunity to work with cutting edge search and information retrieval technology on mission critical problems
- Substantial autonomy and responsibility with opportunities to grow beyond your role as the company scales
- A great work environment; we hire people who are kind and smart
- An ambitious and experienced team working on big problems in search and data processing
Casetext is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All aspects of employment, including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Your application has been successfully submitted.