Director of Business and Legal Operations
United States Remote
We are only accepting candidates that apply through our portal:
Alt Legal is a fast-growing SaaS-based legal technology company focused on making trademark professionals’ lives easier. Our intuitive and automated software helps IP professionals create, maintain, and analyze trademarks and other IP assets. Leading law firms and Fortune 100 companies trust our software to manage hundreds of thousands of filings daily.
We are a virtual team who is diverse and multi-talented. We thrive in a collaborative, open, positive environment, and we care about our mission, customers, prospects, each other, and the broader community. We are committed to ensuring that everyone on the team can grow by being around equally exceptional and kind people.
Reporting directly to the CEO, the Director of Business & Legal Operations will oversee core operations at Alt Legal and assume cross-functional leadership responsibilities within our business, legal, and product operations. The successful candidate will collaborate across our product, marketing, legal, and sales teams to identify and develop initiatives to drive growth and efficiency.
You will create and analyze key business and operational metrics and use that data to improve company performance and drive weekly decision-making and strategic long-term planning including our international expansion. You will also lead our pricing strategy analysis. This role would also collaborate with outside counsel on managing our legal operations (e.g., IP, contracts, and privacy and tax compliance).
Importantly, you would become an expert in our product and underlying tech and help drive product development by drawing on any relevant background and collaborating across teams to prepare product briefs for new features and additions. You will also conduct trademark law research for product support and development and occasional content creation.
As the company’s Director of Business & Legal Operations, you will be partially supported by our Operations Associate, but you should be as comfortable implementing and executing initiatives as you are delegating and managing projects. We’re committed to rapid growth and will invest in the operations team and its function to ensure its success. You will have immediate and meaningful impact on our success, and you will have growth and leadership opportunities as we expand our operations team.
- Work with CEO to ensure that the company hits its short-term and long-term goals
- Create, identify, and analyze KPIs for reporting to our leadership, board, and investors
- Continuously explore new technologies, innovations, and process bottlenecks to improve our efficiency, processes, and experience as well as scale future operations
- Oversee Alt Legal’s global expansion, including managing financial, legal, and regulatory concerns
- Research legal issues for the purposes of product development and support
- Address compliance issues, including new ones related to our expansion, in connection with our outside counsel
- 5+ years of professional experience, preferably with financial or legal experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to think both short-term and long-term when approaching problems
- Ability to recognize what you don’t know
- Thrives as both an individual contributor AND in a highly-collaborative team environment
- Good sense of humor
- Knowledge about and passion for metrics and data analysis
- Keen attention to detail
- Obsessed with delighting customers and using that to drive organization decision-making
- Ability to manage multiple and sometimes conflicting priorities
- Knowledge of the practice of law or, more specifically, trademark law
- Familiarity with Salesforce, SaaSOptics, Asana, and other tech tools
- Startup or SaaS experience
- Cross-functional leadership experience
This posting is not a comprehensive list of all tasks that may arise in the course of employment. Employees may be asked to complete work outside of this list from time to time.
Why Alt Legal
Alt Legal offers a collaborative and challenging work environment and the opportunity to be part of a growing company. We're a team of intellectually curious individuals who love learning and developing new skills. Our company was founded on the belief that a team with diverse backgrounds and identities will have the greatest range of experiences, the best selection of ideas, and the most inclusive and supportive culture.
We also offer all employees a variety of perks such as flexible vacation, remote work options, healthcare coverage, and the opportunity to determine your own growth path.
We are LGBTQ+ friendly and encourage all candidates to apply.
How to Apply + Application process
Please apply through our portal: https://alt-legal.breezy.hr/p/cb7256e0c310-director-of-business-and-legal-operations
We will review applications on a rolling basis.
We will select applications for an initial screening, subsequent case study, and a team interview (including with our CEO).
Your application has been successfully submitted.