Director of Legal Operations
United States Remote
Twilio is seeking an exceptional and passionate Director of Legal Operations to join our global Legal team. Our growing operations team is leading the way in building scalable processes to increase team efficiency and operational excellence. We peer around corners and partner cross-functionally - bringing the best resources and real-time guidance to the legal team, enabling them to better support the business and accelerate Twilio’s growth. We are looking for a strong operations director who will not hesitate to ‘roll up the sleeves’, attack challenges head on and build trust-based relationships as second nature. Reporting to and in coordination with the legal Chief of Staff, this is a results-based role that will drive continuous improvement across the legal organization.
The ideal candidate has at least 8+ years working in an in-house legal department (minimum of 4 years at the management level) for a Fortune 100 or global technology company.
As part of this four-person team, you’ll be at the forefront of helping Twilio Legal drive its strategic priorities and will lead the day-to-day operations in this high-growth, fast-paced environment. You have:
- Deep working knowledge and hands-on experience with legal technology tools and applications; demonstrated ability to lead and execute on large-scale projects (such as contract lifecycle management systems, global onboarding programs and similar) - delivering results on time and within budget;
- 5+ years of experience with legal budget management and reporting;
- 5+ years of experience with supervising legal professionals;
- A strong ability as a natural problem solver and strategic thinker. You’re comfortable with changing priorities and ambiguity and able to bring structure to chaos. You effectively identify and articulate implications up and downstream, taking action or escalating as appropriate;
- A genuine passion for building relationships cross-functionally and the ability to build positive rapport with people at all levels of the organization;
- A proven ability to perform and deliver consistently trustable, precise and actionable quantitative and qualitative analyses;
- A proven ability to use data and data-driven methods to drive better decision making. You’re comfortable with metrics and working in spreadsheets - presenting data in a manner in which others find value;
- Experience developing strategic or departmental planning materials requiring consensus gathering from multiple constituents and have strong business partnering skills.
The position’s primary responsibilities and duties are wide ranging and include, but aren’t limited to:
- BE AN OWNER: Responsibility for the day-to-day operations of the global legal team and supervision of four team members. Partnering with FP&A for day-to-day management of the department’s operating budget and during annual planning.
- BE BOLD: Responsibility for the assessment, implementation and evolving maturity of the legal team’s technology tools, use of automation, systems and processes.
- DRAW THE OWL: Driving priority tech systems initiatives such as implementation of a contracts lifecycle management system, litigation case management system and automation of incoming legal requests.
- BE INCLUSIVE and EMPOWER OTHERS: Driving results for key strategic Diversity & Inclusion and Engagement initiatives across the global team.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Partnering with the Chief of Staff to build a legal data analytics and reporting function to facilitate data-driven strategies.
- DON’T SETTLE: Coordinating and optimizing new outside counsel and vendor management strategies, including driving the use of a dynamic RFP process to set alternative fee arrangements.
The Director of Legal Operations is crucial to the growth of our legal team and their partnership with the business. Our growing operations team is leading the way in building scalable processes to increase team efficiency and operational excellence.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
We employ diverse talent from all over the world and we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Your application has been successfully submitted.