Are you a lawyer or former lawyer who enjoys working with the law, but doesn’t want to practise as a lawyer? Are you a grammar nerd? Do you have a passion for Africa? Do you know when to use a semi-colon rather than a comma? Are you able to manage several tasks at once, while keeping your cool and not dropping the ball? Do you know the difference between that and which? Do you want to be part of an exciting law-tech start-up that is making African law accessible?
We are looking for three editors and, if you answered yes to these questions, you could be the perfect match for one of these open roles!
For each of these positions, our ideal candidate has a background in law, can thrive in a fast-paced environment, is deadline and detail-oriented, and has experience reviewing and editing legal content. Having experience in either ICT law, employment law or corporate commercial law is an advantage, as is proficiency in French.
The position will initially be part-time, with the option of it becoming full-time.
• Reviewing and editing legal content (organised per category, such as Business Structures, Employment, M&A, ICT, etc.) received from our contributing authors (in-country legal experts from various jurisdictions), in line with Afriwise’s editorial processes and guides
• Reviewing, editing and implementing legal content updates received from our contributing authors, in line with Afriwise’s editorial processes and guides
• Liaising with contributing authors to finalise categories, and updates to categories, including sending and following up on queries and update requests, and ensuring responses are received timeously
• Assessing the impact of legal developments on the Afriwise legal content
• Perform other duties as assigned Requirements
• Experience in legal writing and/or legal practice
• Proficient editing, reviewing and writing skills
• Excellent command of English, especially plain English
• Detail oriented and thorough
• Project management skills and the ability to effectively manage several tasks at once
• Ability to carry out editing assignments within tight deadlines under general supervision
• Ability to interact effectively with contributing authors, colleagues and others
• Ability to work well both independently and as part of a team
• Persistence, adaptability and agility
• Be part of Africa’s most innovative development in the legal sector
• Work in a law-tech, content-focused, fast-paced and highly innovative environment
• Flexible working hours
• Work from home
• Be part of an international team and work from anywhere in the world, as long as you have a reliable internet connection
• Grow with us
Your application has been successfully submitted.