Senior Delivery Manager
This job is no longer accepting applications.
We’re recruiting for a Senior Delivery Manager here at MoJ Digital & Technology, to be part of our warm and collaborative LAA Digital team.
A Senior Delivery Manager at the MoJ will have strong communication skills and be able to easily engage senior stakeholders. They will also coach and mentor Delivery Managers.
Perhaps you have held a role with a different job title, such as a Scrum Master or Agile Coach. We are looking for change agents who can help us on our agile journey, and facilitate teams effectively to reach their potential.
We’re looking for someone with strong interpersonal skills who’ll enjoy working in a delivery focused, agile environment with multidisciplinary teams. You will contribute to our Agile Delivery community and share your skills and experiences with others across the MoJ, and wider government departments.
The Legal Aid Agency (LAA), part of the MoJ, provides civil and criminal legal aid and advice in England and Wales and each year our digital systems help more than 2 million people to deal with their legal problems. Over £1bn per year in legal aid funding goes out through our systems to pay providers (solicitors).
The products LAA Digital work on include:
- software for the public, like the CLA system, which can be used to check if a citizen is eligible for legal aid.
- software for solicitors, like the Apply system, to improve the efficiency of submitting legal aid applications.
- software for internal staff, like The Common Platform which acts as a 'central hub' enabling the police, Crown Prosecution Service, HM Courts and Tribunal Service and legal professionals to access and share all relevant information about a case.
- software for our providers and caseworkers, such as the secure file exchange to reduce our reliance on paper, helping the environment and speeding up our processes.
- Encourage positive behavioural change from a senior level, leading senior stakeholder engagement to champion lean and agile methodologies.
- Identify dependencies across teams, and work to eliminate them where possible or manage them where necessary.
- Guiding the team and department on how to use agile practices and values to delight our users.
- Optimise the delivery flow of teams, able to actively address dependencies, including where ownership exists outside the team, or no clear ownership exists, and identify innovative ways to help teams unblock their own issues.
- Identify problems or issues in the team dynamic using Agile health-checks. Provoke the right responses, engage in varying types of feedback choosing the right type, at the appropriate time to rectify issues and ensure that discussion and decision sticks.
- Building a trusting and safe environment where problems can be raised without fear of blame, retribution, or being judged, with an emphasis on healing and problem-solving.
- Facilitating discussion, decision making, and conflict resolution.
- Assisting with internal and external communication, improving transparency, and radiating information.
- Be an active part of the broader delivery management community, receiving and providing coaching and mentoring with your professional colleagues and taking part in informal support networks with peers.
- Identify and challenge organisational processes of increasing complexity and coach the organisation to inspect and adapt.
- Represent the community to large audiences inside and outside of government.
If this feels like an exciting challenge, something you are enthusiastic about, and want to join our team please read on and apply!
We use a combination of the Digital, Data and Technology (DDaT) Profession Capability Framework for the Senior Delivery Manager role to assess technical skills, and the Civil Service Success Profiles Behaviours needed to be successful in this role.
- Agile and Lean practices - You have deep knowledge of, and lead on, a range of Agile and Lean tools and techniques, with an ability to coach within and outside of the team, represent and be an advocate for these tools and techniques, be innovative and ensure you keep up to date with the latest trends. You have situational awareness of what each in the team and outside is working on and ability to ensure that working practices are iterated to achieve effective delivery.
- Team dynamics and collaboration - You have experience in ensuring the health of the team and can facilitate conflict resolution, accelerating team performance, the team is transparent and that the work is understood externally, create an open and collaborative environment to work in, be flexible, adaptable and have a willingness to learn, recognise how people best work together, facilitating the best team makeup depending on the situation. You have the ability to help teams maintain a focus on delivery whilst being aware of the importance of professional development.
- Maintaining delivery momentum - You have expertise in solving issues and unblocking problems, drives teams and sets the pace, ensuring teams are working towards delivery commitments. You have a proven track record of managing various dependencies across teams, departments or government as a whole.
- Planning - You can use a continuous approach to planning, forecasting, estimating, managing uncertainty, metrics and measurements, contingency planning and road mapping.
- Communicating between the technical and non-technical - You have the ability to communicate effectively across organisational, technical and political boundaries, understanding the context. You are able to advocate and communicate what a team does to create trust and authenticity. Can successfully react and respond to challenge.
- Making a process work. You can identify and challenge organisational processes of increasing complexity and those processes that are unnecessarily complicated. You can add value and can coach the organisation to inspect and adapt processes. You know how to guide teams through the implementation of a new process.
- Communication skills. You can mediate between people and communicate with stakeholders at all levels. You can manage stakeholder expectations and facilitate discussions about high risk and complexity. You can speak and represent the community to large audiences inside and outside of government.
- Life-cycle perspective - You can recognise the appropriate deliverables and the right people to meet these. You are able to work with other agile delivery operations throughout the product life cycle. You can plan and engage with the appropriate stakeholders at a particular stage in the project.
- Financial management - You can report on financial delivery, and can monitor cost and budget.
- Commercial management - You can act as the point of contact for contracted suppliers. You understand appropriate internal contacts and processes within a government department.
We welcome the unique contribution diverse applicants bring and do not discriminate on the basis of culture, ethnicity, race, nationality or national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, religion or belief, disability status, sexual orientation, educational or social background or any other factor.
Our values are Purpose, Humanity, Openness and Together. Find out more here about how we celebrate diversity and an inclusive culture in our workplace.
How to Apply
Candidates must submit a CV and a cover letter/ statement of suitability (approx 750 words) which describes how you meet the requirements set out in the Person Specification above.
Please note - applications that do not include a cover letter will not be considered.
In D&T, we recruit using a combination of the Digital, Data and Technology Capability and Success Profiles Frameworks. We will assess your Experience, Technical Skills and the following Behaviours during the assessment process:
- Changing and improving
- Delivering at pace
Your application will be reviewed against the Person Specification above by a diverse panel.
Successful candidates who meet the required standard will then be invited to a 90 min panel interview held via video conference.
Should we receive a high volume of applications, a pre-sift based on the below criteria will be conducted prior to the sift.
- Knowledge of agile and lean processes
- A proven background digital and/or technology delivery
This is a Grade 7 role with a salary of £50,42 - £62,508 National / £54,274 - £67,943 London. Plus great benefits:
- 37 hours per week and flexible working options including working from home, working part-time, job sharing, or working compressed hours.
- We are committed to nurturing our staff and provide lots of training and development opportunities with learning platforms such as: Linux Academy, O’Reilly, Pluralsight, Microsoft Learning, Civil Service Learning, GDS Academy, etc.
- 10% dedicated time to learning and development with a budget of £1000 a year per person
- Generous civil service pension based on defined benefit scheme, with employer contributions of 26-30% depending on salary.
- 25 days leave (plus bank holidays) and 1 privilege day usually taken around the Queens’ birthday. 5 additional days of leave once you have reached 5 years of service.
- Compassionate maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave policies, with up to 26 weeks leave at full pay, 13 weeks with partial pay, and 13 weeks further leave. And maternity support/paternity leave at full pay for 2 weeks, too!
- Wellbeing support including access to the Calm app.
- Nurturing professional and interpersonal networks including those for Careers & Childcare, Gender Equality, PROUD and SPIRIT
- Bike loans up to £2500 and secure bike parking (subject to availability and location)
- Season ticket loans, childcare vouchers and eye-care vouchers.
- 5 days volunteering paid leave.
- Free membership to BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT.
- Some offices may have a subsidised onsite Gym.
Terms & Conditions
Please review our Terms & Conditions which set out the way we recruit and provide further information related to the role and salary arrangements.
If you have any questions, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We provide civil and criminal legal aid and advice in England and Wales to help people deal with their legal problems.