Venture Lead - MDR LAB
In 2016, Mishcon de Reya laid out its 10-year vision. One of the key themes was all around how the Firm must embark on a technological transformation to be fit for the 2020s - with a focus on both the 'Practice of law' (revolutionising how the lawyers deliver legal services) and the 'Business of law' (re-engineering the firm's core internal processes). Mishcon has since built out a 40-person Strategy team, which includes best in class data scientists, engineers, analysts, transformation experts and programme managers to deliver on this vision.
MDR LAB was founded in 2017 to enable Mishcon de Reya to engage and invest in the growing legaltech market. As the first dedicated legaltech incubator and investment arm in the UK, MDR LAB targets early-stage companies who are trying to transform the legal industry and leverages the firm to help them build better products. MDR LAB has now worked with 28 early-stage legal tech businesses across its suite of programmes, has taken licences with eight of the products, and made equity investments in four of the businesses.
In 2020, the remit of MDR LAB expanded to allow Mishcon de Reya to pursue opportunities beyond core legal technology and increase the Firms coverage of more expansive legal themes and adjacent markets. This has included direct investments and venture building and we are now looking for a "Venture Lead" to help us continue scale these emerging capabilities across the MDR Group.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Build relationships with entrepreneurs, VCs and legaltech community as well as other parts of the ecosystem that relate to our investment themes
• Programmatically identify startups that might be relevant targets for incubation, investment or collaboration
• Manage end to end pipeline activity, channeling deal flow through the various pathways.
Selection and Execution:
• Perform due diligence and critically evaluate all aspects of investment and collaboration opportunities
• Act as intellectual owner of each deal - preparing, compiling and presenting investment or business cases to the MdR investment committee
• Supporting more broadly on investment processes and portfolio management and reporting.
• Working on research projects to deliver insight on markets and trends across key focus areas
• Continually develop investment thesis relevant to Mishcon de Reya
• Develop subject matter expertise to unlock key insights that can support invest or build strategies
• Keep a finger on pulse of new problem spaces and emerging macro/ societal trends that might feed into our venture building/product creation activities.
• Working directly with the Head of MDR LAB on all incubation and investment activities
• Provide ongoing support to MDR LAB companies and broader portfolio
• Contribute to various internal activities across the Firm and the Strategy team, including working with Practice Transformation and Data Science colleagues
• Exploring ways to further integrate and promote MDR LAB across the MDR Group and wider network.
• Mindset: A positive can-do attitude, naturally collaborative, willing to learn and integrate in new settings and comfortable operating with little direction.
• Analytical: Good financial experience, either from CVC, venture capital or consultancy and a strong eye for detail.
• Strategic: Ability to think strategically about both macro trends, but also details relating to business, product and technology.
• Communication: Strong written and verbal communications skills, high EQ that can be used to interact with stakeholders at all levels, build trust and earn respect.
• Delivery-oriented: You'll be working across a portfolio of projects and so will need to have outstanding organizational skills. You'll need the drive to work hard in an intellectually rich environment and are happy working independently or as part of a lean team, always willing to go the extra mile to get the job done.
• You have a genuine passion for products, technology and working with early-stage businesses.
• Direct product management/design experience a plus.
Please note that this job profile is not an exhaustive list of duties but merely an outline of the key components of the role. You may be required by your line manager to take on additional responsibilities when requested.
We strive to create a fully diverse and inclusive workplace where all our people are empowered to fulfil their potential. We are proud of our agile working culture and are always happy to talk flexible working.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
It's business. But it's personal.