Policy and Campaign Manager: Crypto and Decentralized Tech
Fight for the Future is seeking a Policy and Campaign Manager to focus on defending decentralized technologies that could create the foundation for a better Internet and a future where human rights and free expression are protected.
This August, when Congress snuck a provision into the big infrastructure bill that would crush the cryptocurrency ecosystem, expand surveillance, and endanger human rights, we fought back. We drove 40,000+ calls to senators, facilitated tweets reaching more than 20 million users, and received massive press attention, helping to generate the introduction of two competing amendments in less than a week. While the Senate failed to amend the policy language, the campaign succeeded in exploding the issue into the public radar, earning more attention to cryptocurrency policy than ever before and demonstrating that Congress would be held accountable for trying to attach policy that affects the future of the Internet to a must-pass bill. The Policy and Campaign Manager will expand our campaigning to defend crypto.
You are right for this role if you have a general understanding of decentralized technology, the cryptocurrency ecosystem, and can be thoughtful about how best to explain it to a non-technical audience. You must also be a strong, prolific writer who is ready to receive and integrate feedback—as well as learn how to reach many different audiences. You need to be ready to approach people where they are on these issues and understand their concerns. You must be self-driven and able to manage all of the moving parts of this campaign including media work, coalition building and management, and outreach to the Hill. People from many different backgrounds and experiences could be right for this role.
You could be a developer building decentralized tech who wants to fight for it to have a future; a former Hill staffer who is fascinated by crypto and wants to marry knowledge of the inside game with the ability to bring an outside game; or just someone who believes in the decentralization and democratization of the Internet, understands the technology, and wants to fight to replace the current model of centralized surveillance capitalism.
If you are looking for contract or full time opportunities and feel you could be a fit, we’d like to hear from you. We were a 100% remote team before the pandemic and will be afterwards.
Strategies that you will support:
Note: You could be engaged in all of these strategies or leading on several of them if you have deeper expertise in specific areas. We can talk more about how we shape the job and what additional training you’ll need to step into newer areas of work.
- Work to build a large, unified coalition with a common strategy and voice.
- Along with Coin Center, Blockchain Association, and others, you will help to coordinate companies and networks to move in sync with the large but disjointed army of crypto defenders and channel their energy towards common goals. Your work will expand the number of civil society organizations in the coalition and recruit new constituencies who should be engaged on these issues but currently aren’t.
- Support a strategic public relations drive.
- Conduct message testing to ensure that all spokespeople are armed with the best talking points to shape a narrative that is clear and persuasive.
- Elevate the issue through extensive earned media coverage. Ensure best messengers are heard through op-ed placements, well-timed interviews, etc.
- Generate high-quality educational materials including explainer videos, infographics, social media, etc.
- Use creative, high-visibility tactics or stunts to garner public attention.
- Mobilize an aggressive advocacy campaign.
- Rally the troops and produce a steady drumbeat of action through sign-on letters, calls, petition drives, crowdfunded stunts like billboards, etc.
- Create a strong public interest lobbying presence by organizing meetings between knowledgeable constituents and their lawmakers, managing briefings for members of Congress and their staff, etc.
- Arm supporters with the best tools for rallying others and making their voices heard.
- Develop easy-to-use action tools and share these resources with the coalition.
- Build websites that will serve as campaign hubs.
What we’re looking for in you:
- You have experience in relevant fields which can include technology, politics, writing/journalism or law.
- You are fascinated by and knowledgeable about different models for decentralized tech, blockchains, cryptocurrencies, and web3. You are enthusiastic and optimistic about its future but skeptical of tech bros who are unwilling to see the pitfalls or acknowledge the scams.
- You are a strong, fast, and clear writer. You like to write copy for websites, petitions, sign-on letters, op-eds, etc. You can synthesize complex ideas into concise, easily understandable copy and get people’s heads nodding and hearts pumping.
- You are an avid consumer of crypto and other tech news (i.e you follow crypto twitter and will see opportunities to “throw logs on the fire” of an active campaign when they come up.)
- You are flexible and ready to pivot for new opportunities.
- You are an independent and self-driven person who isn’t afraid to ask for help or push for feedback and decisions.
- You have experience with and a commitment to working with people from a variety of backgrounds, including racial, ethnic, socio-economic, and religious backgrounds, and people from the LGBTQ community.
- You can respectfully and productively communicate with people who are different from you, who may have different backgrounds and perspectives, and who hold political beliefs that you may passionately oppose.
- You are fascinated by the power of the Internet and have used it in creative ways.
- You have a rigorous and thought-provoking perspective on a wide range of political issues. You are a thinker and someone who can synthesize a problem or an idea out of ordinary interaction and someone’s frustrations/struggles.
- Fluency in English required. Fluency in Spanish or other languages is a plus.
- Experience and comfort with working remotely.
Bonus points for:
- Professional writing experience, especially for large audiences, including online audiences and traditional media.
- Proven track record of generating media coverage, from developing traditional media plans to writing press materials and reaching out and developing relationships with traditional media sources.
- Any experience working on the Hill.
- Project management and/or political organizing experience and skills.
- Coding and/or web design skills.
- Familiarity with a CMS, WordPress, Action Network or other similar tools.
Who you will work with:
You will work closely with the organization’s Director and our Campaigns and Communications Director as well as a coalition of other civil liberties groups, crypto projects, and industry associations. You’ll also work with our professional designer and senior software engineer which will position you well to build the tech needed on any campaign. Our team comes from a variety of backgrounds -- including startups, the music industry, and campaign organizations. We’re looking for well-rounded individuals who have a range of interests, can do a little bit of everything, and know what they’re really good at! We pride ourselves on being a welcoming place to work for women, the LGBTQ community, people of color, people from a variety of ethnic backgrounds, as well as parents.
The range for this position is a salary of $60-90K for a full-time position and $40-$60 hourly for contract positions, depending on experience. Our full-time positions include fully paid healthcare as well as paid time off. We offer support for remote work, training and mentoring, and a driven, highly collaborative work environment.
Fight for the Future is a 100% remote organization so no need to commute or relocate. Our team is based all over the country (and a couple of international locations too) and work over video and through project management tools.
How to contact us:
Please click “apply now” and send us your resume, a short introduction (no need for a full cover letter), and take a few minutes to answer our application questions. Please let us know where you heard about the job and if available include links to or samples of your writing you have handy—ideally in situations where you’re writing to persuade a group of people. Being well-rounded is a plus, so don’t exclude significant skills or achievements just because they aren’t activism related (such as starting a business or being a musician).
Fight for the Future is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer. Fight does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We believe that a diverse staff enables us to better understand and serve our members, audience and community. Women, people of color, and members of low-income, disadvantaged, and LGBTQ communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Fight for the Future