Lead Software Developer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Painworth—the world’s #1 personal injury claim calculator and settlement application—is searching for a Lead Software Developer. This position will be central in the future development of the company and our products. We are an early-stage, scalable technology company with unicorn potential based in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. This role is available to candidates legally able to work in Canada and can be performed remotely.
Our ideal candidate has several years of professional experience developing software and leading a team of highly skilled developers using Agile or Lean software development methodology. As part of a team of lifelong learners, you bring curiosity, a desire to learn, and can work remotely and under self-direction.
We are a remote team, and you will be free to choose your working hours but must be available for a few core hours and scheduled team meetings. We are enthusiastic to consider self-taught individuals who have relevant work experience in place of a technical degree so if you have experience doing hackathons, working at a B2B or B2C startup, getting involved in side-projects, or make open-source contributions, we definitely want to hear from you.
The is a full-time permanent position reporting to our CTO and Director of Operations. You will move the product through the entire development process, from problem identification to solution brainstorming, prioritization, and delivery of software solutions on time and on budget
Painworth is the world's first fully automated app that helps plaintiffs calculate, manage and settle the potential value of their personal injury claim, car accident settlement, medical malpractice lawsuit, slip & fall or tripping injury, assault & battery injury, and more! We’re redefining the way that regular people get fair compensation for their injuries, and access to justice is something we are deeply passionate about as a team.
Our technology allows anyone to get fair and accurate compensation regardless of whether they choose to work with a lawyer or not. By focusing on getting a fair result as efficiently as possible, people can focus on recovery and getting on with their lives.
We are a claimant first company, founded by real injury victims and our team is working on redefining the way insurance and personal injury law work to better serve our communities and neighbours.
Job duties include but are not limited to:
- Determines operational feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development, and proposed solutions.
- Develops software solutions by studying information needs, conferring with users, and studying systems flow, data usage, and work processes.
- Investigates problem areas.
- Follows the software development lifecycle.
- Documents and demonstrates solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code.
- Protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Provides information by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing development and service issues.
- Code both the front- and back-end of the software product
- Test products to search for coding errors
- Communicate with team members on progress, issues, and needs
- Work with team members to design innovative software programs that improve and simplify the online personal injury case management experience for customers
- Ensure all new software functions smoothly across various programs and platforms, including Microsoft and Apple products and mobile systems such as Android and iOS
- Write original code and update existing code, ensuring that all code meets program requirements
- Perform intensive testing of all new and existing programs to ensure they are free of errors and function as intended
- Update and debug existing programs to ensure smooth user experience and a uniform look across a variety of platforms
- Keep up to date on the newest technological innovations in the field and be ready to apply relevant innovations to our software systems
Job Skills & Qualifications
- A passion for software development, alignment with our mission and social impact, and dedication to improving access to justice are non-negotiable.
- Strong portfolio demonstrating your programming skills, and at least 3 years of relevant software development experience.
- Demonstrated experience as a scrum master or utilizing other project/team management methodology with a track record of delivering software projects on time
- Experience coaching and mentoring less experienced developers
- Strong communication, collaboration and teamwork skills are essential
- Applicant must be legally able to work in Canada
- Experience optimizing programs for SaaS products
This posting will remain active until filled, so we encourage candidates to apply early. Ideally, we are seeking candidates who can start in mid-to-late September.
As a fully digital company, all employees work mainly from their home office, and have some flexibility in their work hours. That said, there are regular opportunities to socialize with your co-workers virtually, as well as at in-person events.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We help people calculate, manage, and settle their own personal injury case with or without the help of a lawyer.