This job is no longer accepting applications.
The Northeastern Center Law, Innovation and Creativity (CLIC) is dedicated to the advancing interdisciplinary research and dialog on critical issues relating to law, technology, and social justice. The Center is the hub of innovative, social justice-oriented research and programs associated with law and technology. We host an annual conference, an annual academic workshop, multiple conferences and events. We are also the home of more than 50 affiliate scholars interested in law and technology from around the world. Housed within the School of Law (NUSL), the Center’s affiliated faculty have appointments across Northeastern University’s schools and colleges, and conduct research on a wide array of issues, including privacy; automated decision-making, algorithmic accountability, and algorithmic fairness; online harassment; technology, surveillance, and marginalized communities (including race, gender, ethnic, and sexual minorities); internet and information security; Science and Technology Studies; intellectual property; and constitutional law and human rights. The Center supports a broad curriculum in law and technology, and sponsors conferences, lectures, colloquia, and workshops that introduce students to career opportunities in related fields. Northeastern University is committed to outstanding leadership in the law and technology space, and we seek a managing director who can cement our position as one of the top law and technology programs in legal education.
- Organize the Center’s lectures, colloquia, and conferences, including providing opening remarks, ensuring appropriate technology, making all invitations and travel/hotel arrangements for speakers, and all other logistical, administrative, and organizational responsibilities associated with running events.
- Provide long-term and day-to-day leadership and management of the Center, manage the Center’s budget, and supervise multiple student volunteers and manage the CLIC Affiliates program.
- Work with the Center’s Faculty Director and affiliated faculty to implement the Center’s strategic plan.
- Identify opportunities, both inside the University and among outside foundations, donors, and governments, for grant-funded research and programs, as well as write grants and coordinate grant-funded research projects by CLIC faculty.
- Work with the Dean, Associate Deans, and Faculty Director to develop new and expand existing non-JD programs related to law, technology, and social justice.
- Work with the Director of Communications on the marketing of NUSL as a locus of law and technology scholarship.
- Launch the CLIC blog and supervise, edit, and provide feedback to students, faculty, and affiliates writing blog posts.
- Conduct and coordinate interdisciplinary research in law, technology, and social justice.
- The Managing Director must have a J.D., or other graduate degree in relevant fields, and a minimum of four years of professional experience in law and technology broadly defined, privacy, or intellectual property.
- A proven track record of grant-writing is required. A record of conducting grant-funded research is a plus.
- Substantial administrative and event planning experience, including supervisory experience strongly preferred.
- Strong communication skills, including writing and face-to-face presentations, as well as the ability to work independently, to think and solve problems creatively, and to function effectively within a team.
- Substantive knowledge of at least one of the specified fields of study associated with CLIC and the ability to work well with multiple constituencies including faculty, students, employers, administrators, and employers.
- Commitment to diversity and social justice.
- Fluency in social media and a willingness and ability to leverage social media to amplify the Center’s work.
- The Managing Director must be a flexible team player, willing to work full-day conferences and put in the time necessary for detailed planning of events. The ideal candidate will also be able to think outside the box, propose new ideas rather than wait for direction, and support faculty and student growth.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Northeastern is a global, experiential, research university built on a tradition of engagement with the world.