Director Practice Innovation and Technology Solutions
Los Angeles, CA, USA
We have an opening for a Director, Practice Innovation and Technology Solutions.
This position may sit in any of our U.S. offices, with a preference for New York or Los Angeles.
The Director, Practice Innovation and Technology Solutions will:
- Work with the Firm’s Practice Innovation & Knowledge Attorneys, Practice Innovation Staff, and the Firm’s attorneys to identify legal software tools and other technology-assisted solutions for the Firm’s attorneys and clients;
- Is responsible for managing vendor relations as they pertain to practice-related technology solutions; and
- Liaise with the Firm’s IT Department, Information Security team, and project managers to facilitate the smooth implementation of pilots and Practice Innovation related product launches of legal software tools and technology solutions, and to help drive adoption of those solutions, including by coordinating the various business processes relating to security review, information governance, and integration assessment.
Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Work with those directly supporting the practices in the Department to understand the technology needs of the Firm’s lawyers at the Firm-wide and practice group level; assist in developing strategies to improve efficiency across the Firm, and make recommendations on how to integrate applications and technology solutions into the workflow of the Firm’s attorneys and practice groups;
- In conjunction with our attorneys and the Practice Innovation and Legal Solutions Department, identify efficiency and improvement opportunities and other use cases for technology solutions; define business requirements and draft project charters and business cases that help our IT teams design, configure, and implement solutions that enable our lawyers to more effectively utilize technology to support the practice and business of law. Collaborate in the deployment of new and existing technology resources and tools to successfully meet those needs;
- Communicate with third-party vendors to foster strong relationships and an ongoing information exchange related to new and existing products and services;
- Negotiate with vendors on technology and legal research resource needs and licensing. Liaise between third-party vendors, the Firm’s IT Department, and end-users such as the Firm’s attorneys and clients, and the Practice Innovation Attorneys, to keep all parties regularly updated on the status of various technology projects;
- Collaborate with other Firm departments on joint initiatives, develop efficient procedures, and streamline processes involving lawyer-facing technology tools;
- Participate in and contribute to various innovation and technology-related working groups and committees at the Firm, including the Innovation Committee and the Associate Committee on Technology;
- Stay abreast of emerging technologies and trends that could impact legal service delivery, such as artificial intelligence technologies and data analytics. Foster relationships with legal technology associations, and organizations through networking opportunities;
- Lead the Practice Innovation and Technology Solutions and Information Resource Management functions, including day-to-day support, budget oversight, recruitment and professional development, as well as oversee project deadlines and efficiency;
- Manage the Project Managers, Business Analysts and Information Resource Manager. Ensure the team collaborates and communicates effectively with key constituents, including practitioners, Practice Innovation Department, IT colleagues and external vendors;
- Handle other duties as assigned; and
- Occasional travel required.
- Bachelor’s Degree required;
- Law degree and experience as a practicing attorney (preferred);
- Demonstrated experience in implementing legal practice technology solutions in a legal, professional services, or product environment;
- At least 5 years’ experience working in a similar role in a top tier law firm, at a technology vendor, or other professional services entity (Law firm experience highly preferred);
- At least 5-7 years’ manager/director-level experience;
- Expert knowledge of legal technology and knowledge management systems such as enterprise search, document management, data analytics, transaction and case management, document automation, and intranet technologies; advanced knowledge and proficiency in standard law firm applications, including MS Office;
- Advanced knowledge of the workflows and the core needs of practicing lawyers;
- Excellent management and communication skills (e.g., planning, problem-solving, decision-making and communicating to various internal and external teams);
- Advanced organizational skills needed to manage time well, prioritize effectively across multiple ongoing projects, and handle multiple deadlines;
- Ability to undertake large, long-term projects and implement solutions;
- A self-starter and team player; and
- Excellent English written and oral communication skills.
Your application has been successfully submitted.