Business Development Associate
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Willful is Canada’s leading online will platform that makes creating your estate plan affordable, convenient, and easy. More than half of Canadian adults don’t have a will, and while end-of-life planning can be difficult to talk about, our mission at Willful is to use technology and empathy to make the process as simple and painless as possible.
We’ve helped tens of thousands of customers create their wills and power of attorney documents since launching in 2017. Our user-friendly design has also caught the attention of major publications such as The Globe and Mail, The Toronto Star, Global News, Betakit and more, and led to partnerships with industry leaders in banking, insurance and employee benefits programs, including Allstate, Wealthsimple, Sonnet, Mercer, and other well-known brands.
As we build new revenue opportunities for the organization, we’re looking to hire a Business Development Associate to join our business development team on a six-month contract. They will drive work with professionals across Canada to offer end-of-life planning solutions to their customers and employees.
What does it mean to be a Business Development Associate at Willful?
As Business Development Associate, you will be responsible for reaching out to and building relationships with financial and business professionals across Canada. The role involves day-to-day business development activities to drive sales and revenue of Willful products and services in the financial, mortgage and wellness industries, including generating new sales opportunities via inbound and outbound activities, recording sales activity and intelligence in the company’s CRM, and reporting on success metrics.
As part of our small and collaborative business development team, you’ll report directly to our Strategic Partnerships Manager. The right person for this role is goal-oriented, self-motivated, and has ambition and passion to build a career in sales.
How you’ll make an impact
- Play a key role in growing the Willful B2B channel through partner identification in the financial, mortgage and wellness industries, outreach, presentations and relationship building;
- Build and maintain a list of leads;
- Connect with new prospects and maintain a discipline of daily email, call and campaign activity to qualify and convert leads;
- Work closely with the Strategic Partnerships Manager to build channel-specific strategies by testing different engagement methods and measuring the success of each;
- Develop sales skills through regular training and review cycles;
- Track work and engagement within our CRM by creating tasks, follow-ups, and other activities to ensure an organized pipeline.
Who you are:
- Experience: You have 1-2 years of sales or transferable experience and have knowledge and passion for technology.
- Excellent Communicator: You’re comfortable writing, crafting and honing engaging and attention-grabbing emails, proposals and voice messages. You’re not scared of picking up the phone or joining a Zoom call and talking to strangers.
- Deliberate: You are highly skilled at time management and measured in how you spend your time. You focus your time on activities that will drive revenue growth for the business and identify tasks to your manager that can easily be automated.
- Empathetic: You are a strong listener and have a strong sense of empathy. You have a desire to solve real problems for Canadians and to understand your customers’ needs during the sales process.
- Curiosity and Drive: You have a continuous improvement mindset and are happy learning new techniques, tools, and methods to develop your skillset. You have the desire to move up the ranks and become an Account Executive or team leader in the future.
- Resourceful: As a small team, we need people who can find the answer to any question. You’ll learn anything you need to get your job done.
- Entrepreneurial: You take an owner’s approach to growth; you are committed to your work at Willful and want to share in the company’s success.
- Knowledge in the financial, mortgage or wellness/benefits space an asset.
We don’t care where you went to school - or if you went to school - as long as you have the drive to build relationships and help Willful grow. If you don’t check every box, but you can show us how you would be successful in sales – please apply.
What we offer
- The opportunity to work in the nascent space of estate planning that is ripe for disruption;
- Competitive salary;
- Shortened summer hours, and company-wide “recharge” days off in December in addition to your vacation time;
- Flexible work hours to accommodate both work and home life;
- Opportunities for coaching and mentorship in sales and partnerships;
- Fun, inclusive quarterly team events and regular team lunches (currently virtual).
We’re building a diverse team
Willful is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives to apply. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. We have a commitment to diverse hiring and are proud to say that 50% of our team, and 50% of our C-level executives, are female-identifying.
Work where you want to
We’re looking for the right person to join our team so this role isn’t limited by geography and may be 100% remote. The only requirement is that you must be legally able to work in Canada. Willful offers flexible work-from-home options. If you are based in Toronto, you’ll join collaboration days in the office and you are welcome to work all or some of the time out of Willful HQ at Wellington & Portland.
September 2021 (flexible start date)
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Willful makes it easy to create a will online & it's more convenient and affordable than visiting a lawyer.