Practice Innovation and Knowledge Attorney (US) - Employment, Antitrust, Complex Litigation (Location Flexible)
We have an opening for a Practice Innovation and Knowledge Attorney (US) – Employment, Antitrust, Complex Litigation.
This position may sit in any of our U.S. offices.
The Practice Innovation and Knowledge Attorney for Employment, Antitrust, and Complex Litigation manages the development, collection, curation, and surfacing of core practice content within attorney workflows, coordinates development of substantive legal training programs, optimizes leveraging of the firm’s intellectual capital, drives process improvement efforts, identifies opportunities for technology augmentation in legal practice, and promotes adoption of key practice tools for practitioners in assigned practice areas.
In this capacity, the Practice Innovation and Knowledge Attorney for Employment, Antitrust, and Complex Litigation will:
· Assess the relevant practice area knowledge needs, define and implement a plan to meet those needs;
· In coordination with practice area lawyers: draft, update and manage standard forms, internal memoranda on practice legal issues, and practice process checklists; Identify work product precedents;
· Collect and contribute content to internal knowledge systems, and curate knowledge collections for relevant practices;
· Provide direct support to individual practitioners to assist them with locating practice-related internal and external knowledge resources;
· Initiate and coordinate legal knowledge projects and help develop modern knowledge delivery systems in the assigned practice areas;
· Coordinate with the IT Department, the Innovation and Technology Solutions team and other Practice Innovation Department staff regarding content management and access systems; Develop and manage legal knowledge information collections and databases;
· Train and assist practice area lawyers and Paralegals in use of the Firm’s relevant knowledge tools and information resources; Coordinate with peers in other practice areas to exchange best practices in knowledge resources developed by each area; Monitor and share with practitioners recent, relevant legal developments and current market practice developments and trends;
· Work with practicing lawyers to implement the Firm’s Matter Management methodologies (legal project management) on their legal matters, which includes training lawyers to use new technologies and workflows to actively manage their matters, to create matter plans, budgets and timelines, and to document clearly-defined scopes and assumptions; establish phase codes and identify metadata for standard matter types; capture matter metadata in Firm knowledge management systems;
· Identify practice pain-points and use cases for legal technology tools, recommend solutions, develop and facilitate administration of pilot plans or proofs of concept, communicate and drive adoption around launch of new solutions;
· Identify practice-related training needs and coordinate with attorneys and the Talent Development and Business Development Departments to organize, design and deliver relevant training;
· Provide regular training on knowledge resources and innovative technology solutions;
· Work beyond scheduled hours as necessary and travel as required;
· Be a source of legal, market and practical expertise, including in the area of legal innovation; and
· Handle additional related projects as necessary.
The Practice Innovation and Knowledge Attorney will not perform client legal work.
· Law degree and current bar admission in the jurisdiction of the Firm office;
· At least 5 years of law firm practitioner experience in the assigned area of law;
· Experience with knowledge management and / or legal innovation practices preferred;
· Expert legal knowledge and practice skills in at least one of the assigned practice areas: Employment Litigation preferred; Antitrust or Complex Litigation;
· Advanced knowledge of legal innovation and legal technology ecosystem preferred;
· Expert proficiency in the English language, including punctuation, spelling, grammar and writing skills;
· Advanced proficiency in training skills and best practices;
· Advanced proficiency in researching and drafting legal documents and content, such as transactional documents, legal memoranda, pleadings, and/or motions;
· Advanced proficiency in legal research techniques, online research and legal research databases;
· Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite applications;
· Expert knowledge of the workflows and the core needs of lawyers in the assigned practice areas;
· Advanced knowledge of Inter/Intra/Extranet technologies, particularly for legal-specific uses (portals);
· Advanced proficiency in document management search functionality and systems;
· Advanced knowledge of database structure and theory;
· Advanced knowledge of change management theory;
· Advanced knowledge of business practices and philosophies; and
· Proficiency with learning and adapting to new technologies.
Paul Hastings LLP is an equal employment and affirmative action employer F/M/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Your application has been successfully submitted.