Director, Knowledge, Practice Innovation and Research
We have an opening for a Director – Knowledge, Practice Innovation and Research.
This position may sit in any of our U.S. offices.
The Director - Knowledge, Practice Innovation and Research is responsible for driving the implementation of the firm's knowledge and research strategies, including legal knowledge management, legal process improvement, substantive and KM technology training, research projects, products and requests, and identification of opportunities for KM- and Research-related technologies.
In this capacity, the Director – Knowledge, Practice Innovation and Research will:
- Along with the Managing Director, Innovation and Knowledge, and in line with broader Practice Innovation (PI) strategy, develop and set strategy for Knowledge and Research functions;
- Manage the firm’s Practice Innovation and Knowledge Attorneys (PIKAs) and Research Services Manager through clear articulation of the firm’s PI, Knowledge, and Research strategies and their role in fulfilling strategic objectives. Provide day-to-day support, lead professional development initiatives within the team, and set department and individual goals to deliver on strategic objectives;
- Collaborate with other PI team members to support the firm’s and the department’s strategic objectives, including Innovative Technology Solutions, Legal Project Management, Practice Management, and Information Resource Management functions;
- Work closely with the Managing Director, Innovation and Knowledge to develop strategies for driving innovation across the Firm, including supporting the digital transformation of the firm’s legal practices through increasing the pervasiveness of data analytics, automation and AI technology;
- Collaborate with the firm’s Talent Department, and in particular the Director, Client Readiness, in developing a strategic approach to legal substantive training across the Firm’s practices. Partner with Talent and other firm departments to ensure that learning and development activities are in line with the substantive needs of the practices;
- Collaborate with the Director, Practice Innovation and Technology Solutions, in developing a strategic approach to technology training and adoption across the firm’s practices;
- Lead PI staff in delivering highest quality knowledge, content and research services to the firm’s practices and clients, ensuring effective sharing of knowledge across all practices and jurisdictions, and identifying and implementing cutting-edge KM platforms to create efficiencies in the practice of law;
- Lead a knowledge sharing culture where knowledge is valued and used, and lawyers have the skills to use these resources independently. Help drive cultural change across the firm, embedding a culture of continuous learning, innovation, and client service;
- Partner with Business Development, Talent and the Innovative Technology Solutions team to identify opportunities for internal and client-facing knowledge sharing;
- Stay up-to-date with knowledge trends, legal technology trends, law firm business trends, and legal developments, while promoting this information across the firm;
- Handle other duties as assigned; and
- Occasional travel may be required. Work outside of normal business hours as required.
- Law degree and current bar admission in the jurisdiction of a firm office;
- At least 6-7 years’ experience practicing law;
- At least 5 years’ experience working in a knowledge management, research services or training role in a top tier law firm, in-house, or other professional services entity;
- At least 5 years of supervisory experience, able to demonstrate success in managing teams and leading people;
- Self-starter who is able to implement a vision with a demonstrable track record of success;
- Strong leadership and managerial skills, demonstrated through experience leading teams to achieve strategic objectives;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the business and practice of law, as well as the landscape of legal innovation and legal technology;
- Ability to lead multiple diverse teams and firm-wide initiatives, demonstrated ability to build strong relationships across silos globally;
- Experienced in stakeholder management, able to unite multiple stakeholders across departments in order to drive large projects to completion;
- Skilled in the art of developing buy-in through influence, and well-versed in innovation methodologies, able to coach teams in effectively encouraging lawyers to contribute knowledge and to adhere to knowledge processes;
- Creative problem-solving skills, with an understanding of how to augment legal practice with automation, data analytics and AI, and recognition of the importance of structuring data to underpin strong knowledge and research frameworks;
- Ability to develop effective training programs and curriculums, and to coordinate training across practice groups;
- Understanding of legal research practices and resources;
- Demonstrated drive, perseverance and tenacity to implement and improve strategic initiatives;
- Ability to identify new areas of opportunity for Knowledge and Research teams to solve business challenges and improve client service;
- Strong leadership, project management, change management and communication skills. Team player;
- Excellent organizational skills with a strong attention to detail; and
- Excellent English written and oral communication skills.
Paul Hastings LLP is an equal employment and affirmative action employer F/M/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Your application has been successfully submitted.